Choosing The Right Cat Breed That Works For You
If dog is man's best friend, then cats are a man's caprice. Aside from being expensive, purebred cats are difficult to care for as they require their owner's love and attention. Cats are like babies, because they need to be fed, sometimes bathed, combed, played with and cared for. That is why choosing the right cat breed that works for you is a very important factor when getting a cat as a pet.
Cats are best bought from responsible cat breeders. Hobbyists choose to own purebred cats because their temperaments are more predictable than cats with unknown pedigrees. If you are getting a cat from a cat breeder, ask him about the number of cat breeds that he has so you can choose from them. Also, ask him how many years he has been breeding cats and whether he can give you a health guarantee and complete papers for the cat.
Top cat breeds
If you want to show off your cat, then it is best to choose from among the top five cat breeds throughout the world.
- Persian - Persian cats are called Persian for their country of origin. Persians have a long coat, sweet personality and have the ability to blend into the household. These are the qualities that made Persians one of the top choices of cat lovers. However, its long coat requires daily combing to avoid tangles.
- Maine Coon - Maine Coon cats are one of the biggest cat breed. These are long-haired cats with good mouse hunting skills. These cats are good companions for children.
- Exotic - This cat breed can offer you the best of two worlds. The Exotic cat has the look of a Persian cat, but it has short hair, making it easy to groom. They look like teddy bears with their thick and short coats. These cats are sweet and good companions like the Persians.
- Siamese - Siamese cats originally came from Siam or Thailand. This cat possesses an aristocratic head, looks almost like a deer because of its stiff ears, and has a short coat. Siamese cats have long bodies, long legs and long necks.
- Abyssinian - These cats are very elegant-looking, much like the cats portrayed in Egyptian sculptures. Abyssinia is the former name of Ethiopia. However, Abyssinian cats did not originate in Ethiopia. They got the name because the first cats of Abyssinian breed, which were exhibited in England, were from Abyssinia.
Choosing the right cat breed is very important as a cat owner. No matter what your choice of a cat breed is, make sure that your cat is healthy and that it has already been weaned. The ideal age to get a kitten is about 14 weeks, when their immune systems are already developed. Cats that are younger or not fully weaned will be more difficult to care for. Depending on your preferences, there are a lot of different cat breeds to take your pick.