Plants Poisonous To Cats
A lot of cat owners are not aware certain plants can be poisonous and toxic to their pets. However, it must not deter pet owners from growing plants at home or in their gardens. Though you should take note what are the plants poisonous to cats. Otherwise, if your cat happens to chew or eat them, it may be fatal to your pet.
Cats like to chew on plants. If you have plants at home, it will be no problem for your cat to reach them even if you place them at a height. Cats are able climbers and they will be able to find a way to reach these plants. Since that is the case, it is no point keeping plants out of reach. However, it is important to ensure you have none of the plants on the list below as these houseplants are poisonous or toxic to cats.
- Amaryllis (Amaryllis species)
- Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons (Rhododendron species)
- Castor Bean (Ricinus communis)
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum species)
- Cyclamen (Cyclamen species)
- Daffodils (Narcissus species)
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)
- Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe species)
- Lilies (Lilium species)
- Marijuana (Cannabis sativa)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander)
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum species)
- Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
- Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)
- Spanish thyme (Coleus ampoinicus)
- Tulips (Tulipa gesneriana)
- Hyacinths (Narcissus species)
- Yew (Taxus species)
Symptoms To Watch Out For
If your cat ingest any of the following plants above, your pet may experience the following symptoms. Do keep a lookout for these symptoms. If you suspect your cat of being poisoned, bring your pet to the vet immediately.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing or showing signs of drooling
- Excessive drinking of water and urinating
- Irregular heart beats, may be fast and slow
If medical help is not administrated on time, the result may be fatal to your pet. Some cats may require an extend period of time for recovery after being poisoned or if treatment is being delayed. Your vet will be able to make a proper diagnosis and advise you on the next course of action. Just follow your vet’s instructions to the letter if you want your cat to fully recover from the ordeal.
This list of plants poisonous to cats is not exhaustive, you should do further research when looking to get houseplants for your homes. Plants that are poisonous to cats should be kept far away from them. It is the responsibilities of cat owners to provide a safe environment for your cats. If I have miss out on any poisonous plants that are poisonous to cats, feel free to email me to add into the list.