Before training your cat, there are a number of things to know before starting cat training. If you are not aware, cats are notoriously difficult to train as they are simply not interested in pleasing their owners as well as being too laid back to take kindly to being trained. As such, you have to be more consistent and patient in training them. You should also use positive reinforcement methods such as rewarding good behaviors in order to train your cat successfully.
It will take quite a bit of time in order to toilet train your cat as well as in various proper behaviors. Though the task at hand may seem impossible as cats already have a bad reputation for being virtually untrainable, it is possible to do so with enough patience and time. Also, training sessions normally involve a bit of physical and mental exercises which bodes well for your cat’s physical and mental health. If you are not sure how to get started, you can ask your vet for advice and recommendations on what sort of training exercises are good.
In order to become a good trainer, you have to understand a bit of how cats behave.Having a proper understanding of feline behaviors and psychology will help you a lot in your training. Nowadays, it is very easy to do a search online on the best practices to train your cat.
As previously mentioned, using positive reinforcement methods such as rewards can work very well. Cats are extremely responsive to rewards. This allows you to train your cat to do basic tricks very easily. By rewarding your cat in the form of treats for good behaviors will lead it to do more of the same in order to get the rewards. Your cat will learn to associate these behaviors with treats. This will allow your cat to develop these behaviors into habits which will come naturally to your pet in time to come.
Since you are now aware of that positive reinforcement methods do work very well, here are some tips you can use to successfully train your cat.
- Do note that you cannot train a cat like a dog. Compared to dogs, cats have shorter attention spans. That is why your training sessions should not be longer than fifteen minutes. Otherwise, you will find it hard to get your cat to response to your orders.
- It is a good to train your cat near to meal times as it will be more responsive to your training instructions when it is hungry.
- The use of treats in bribing or rewarding your cat is very useful in getting your cat to learn or perform certain tricks. Negative methods such as punishments and yelling are not at all useful in getting cats to learn or perform tricks.
- As cats have very short attention span, it is important to use short commands or instructions when training your cat. Also, do take note not to repeat more than twice as the effectiveness will be very much reduced.
- Infuse fun into your training sessions as it will make these sessions more enjoyable for both your cat and you. Though, you should take note to make these training sessions as short as possible.
- When commanding or instructing your cat to do something, always call out its name. When your cat has finished, praise and reward it.
- When choosing what to reward your cat, always choose something that your cat like best. In other words, choose something your cat will die for.
- Sometimes, it is inevitable that your cat simply refuse to go through a training session. It may be one of those days that your cat is feeling down and not in the mood for these training sessions. If that is the case, do not force your cat to go through the session.
- The same thing applies to performing a trick in front of other people. As you probably know, cats have very peculiar moods. You cannot force them to do something if they are not in the mood.
- Consistency is the key in training cats. You need to schedule training sessions daily in order to see real results. Otherwise, your cat may get confused if its training sessions are not regular.
If you have the patience and time, plus the consistency to see through your cat’s training, you will reap the rewards of a well trained pet down the road. Remember, consistency and patience are the keys to successfully training your cat. Training kitten is slightly different more training a more mature cat. You can check out this article on “Tips For Training Kittens” to know more about training kittens.