13 Kitten Care Tips
It is always a joyous affair when you bring home a kitten. However, do you know how to really take good care of a kitten? While a lot of cat owners may have the experience of working with an older cat, many do not know how to take care of a young kitten especially when one is not yet fully weaned. If you are one of those cat owners who are clueless about raising a young kitten, check out the following kitten care tips below to let you have a better understanding and know how on how to take good care of your kitten.
- When bringing home your kitten for the very first time, there are a few things you need to take note of. To ensure your kitten gets used to your home quickly, bring back along any stuff it used in its previous home such as an old blanket or towel. The smell and familiarity of these items will ensure the kitten does not get disoriented and frightened or the new surroundings. Also, keep the kitten in an enclosed room during the first week or so until it is used to the new surroundings. If you have other pets, it is important to keep them apart until they are more familiar with each other scents. All these little things will help your kitten adapt faster.
- Your kitten is not the same as an adult cat, so do not presume it will act and behave like one. The needs of a young kitten are also vastly different from an adult cat so you need to cater to the different growing stages of a kitten.
- Provide your kitten with a diet rich in protein and taurine. It is best to feed your kitten quality kitten food to ensure it grow up strong and healthy without any health problems. While it is more costly, it is definitely worth the extra costs.
- Your kitten will most probably feed more than 3 times a day during its growing phase. Do not be alarmed as it is normal. Till it is fully grown, continue feeding it as many times as it likes. By the time your kitten is fully grown, it will most likely eat 3 times or less per day. You can feed your kitten, both dry and wet cat food. A mixture of both dry and wet cat food will be better for your kitten.
- Ensure your kitten has ample access to fresh water. It is important to provide clean and fresh water at this stage. A shallow water bowl will be most ideal for your kitten at this stage. You have to make sure the water is clean throughout the day.
- It is important to take note that you should not be feeding your any kind of milk, as most cats are lactose intolerant and may cause your kitten to have stomach upsets. Rather, clean and fresh water will be more than enough for your kitten to quench its thirst.
- Use positive reinforcement methods when disciplining or training your kitten. While I believe in tough love when necessary, you should avoid using force when trying to teach your kitten proper cat behaviors. Otherwise, you may end up with a frightened and disoriented young cat.
- Socializing is an is important is you want your kitten to grow up to be a confident, healthy and sociable pet who can mix around easily with other humans and pets. It is important to impart the art of socializing with others starting at a very young age.
- Your kitten’s health should be one of your main priorities. Rather than letting health issues happen their own, it is far better to take a preventive attitude and make sure these health issues do not happen at all or minimize the chances of your kitten from contacting them. Schedule regular checkups with the vet as well as ensuring your kitten has all the vaccinations it should take.
- Kittens are full of curiosity. They like to explore and have fun all day long. It is very easy for your kitten to get into trouble and accidents. Knowing that, you should keep a close eye on your kitten at all times.
- Kitten-proofing your home is a must if you are worried about your kitten getting into troubles or serious accidents while you are not at home. It is virtually impossible to look after your kitten the whole day. As such, it is better to prevent accidents from happening in the first place by making sure the risks of such accidents are minimized or removed.
- Neuter or spay your kitten as soon as you can. This will help to reduce a lot of issues down the road. Unless you are a breeder, having a neutered pet will ensure your pet will be happy and healthy. Your vet will be able to advise you when is the best time to neuter or spay your kitten.
- If you want your kitten to grow up to be a confident, healthy, sociable and strong cat, it is important to have regular playtime with your kitten. Your kitten will get used to your human touch and at the same time has a good time having fun and exercising at the same time. The bond you form with your kitten will stand both of you in good stead in years to come.
With the kitten care tips above, you can be sure your kitten is going to grow up to be a confident, happy, healthy, loving, sociable and strong cat. What more can a cat owner ask for!